Thursday, August 22, 2013

week 3- Halfway in the CCM!

 Sarah's latest letter and photos posted by her Mom...

HALF WAY IN THE CCM!
I can't believe it! The phrase around here is "The weeks feel like days and the days feel like weeks." The longer you're here, the most truth there is to that.
So this week was the week of projects.
it's Ron Weasley!!
Project 1: Make a class pet. Then make a family for that pet. Then make a basket for the pet. Then make a hot air balloon to attach to the basket that we put the pet in so he could travel the world and preach the gospel to other class pets. Our class pet's name is Tiny Tim. He has a loving mother named Lafónda and a father named Chuck. Best use of additional study time
Project 2: Take pictures of the Harry Potter cast. Ronald Weasly was first on the list. *Picture attached below. That was an... interesting event. We stalked him though the line in the store and I eventually got up the nerve to ask him. ïs this because I look like Ron Weasley?"He asked. "Would it change your answer?"I inquired... "No.".... "This yes. That is exactly why I am asking for your  picture". The Harry Potter picture was of even greater awkwardness. You see. This élder is one of the more (most) popular because he was the star quarterback for BYU and is just the nicest guys ever so every girl wants a picture with him. So to avoid looking like I groupie we had to explain why we needed a picture with him.... We've come to find that telling people that you've cast the entire Harry Potter cast at the CCM and are now seeking pictures with all of them doesn't make you sound any less creepy. Nonetheless, WE ARE DETERMINED!
Project 3: Combat the eminent fate of weight gain. Prancercise classes are conducted daily from 11:45 to 12:30 by Hermana LaBanc. Changing lives while sculpting thighs. 
Project 4: Learn dat Espanol!!! We're crackin down on that gramatica like nobodies business. We have 3 hours of grammar lessons everyday, we plan lessons (in Spanish), we teach an investigator"for 20-40 mins entirely in Spanish every day, and teach real church members for 20-30 mins twice a week... and our teachers speak entirely in Spanish 24/7. It's intense.
Project 5: Become Spiritual Giants of the Gospel. This week we had some AMAZING devotionals. We watched a rebroadcast from Elder and Sister Bednar. Favorite quotes: "You're taking a spiritual casserole to the world"-Sis. Bednar; "We don't just sit down in a room before conference and say 'Ok, Elder Bednar and Elder Scott, you both talk about Testimony and Conversion..... and Elder Holland, light it up." But in general, Elder Bednar spoke about looking at doctrine and principles and apply them to our lives. (Totes saw Nick Clawson in the MTC choir!) Then we had another devotional by the Area President and his wife. Sister Johnson gave the sweetest talk and said "We all miss home. Because this isn't our home. Many people are far away from our Father in Heaven and you have the opportunity to show them that they don't have to be." That hit me so hard. I'm not one to get homesick but in that instance, I missed my Father  in Heaven so much and I can't wait for that reunion, but I also thought about all those who don't know they have someone waiting for them up there, and He wants them to live with Him again. President Johnson continued on that note and talked about our relationship with Heavenly Father. it really hadn't occurred to me that people don't consider God to be our Heavenly Father who loves us so dearly. We know that. We know that he hears us and wants to help us because he KNOWS us. He understands everything we feel and think and want to do but can't. Pres. Johnson then urged us, if we hadn't already to solidify our testimony of our Heavenly Father by truly talking to him and asking a few questions.
1. Are you really there?
2. Do you have a body of flesh and bone?
3. Do you know me?
4. Can you hear me?
5. Do you really love me?
It makes my soul tremble to think that I know the answers to these questions and I feel them in my bones when I pray and plead with my Heavenly Father, but so many people don't.
Being here opens your eyes so much to what you know and how indescribably happy it makes you, and the need there is to share it with others so they can have the opportunity to feel it too.
Running out of time so.
 
Phrases of the week"
Hna Phipps: Should I turn the alarm on loud or soft?
Me: It doesn't matter. It sounds like Satan punching me in the face either way.
Me (whilst praying): Please bless us with letters... whether they be from family... or strangers. We give you total creative liberties on Your answering.
Soul Touching Hymns:
Jesus Once of Humble Birth. I can't even!
I love the Lord (BYU Mens Choir) GO. LISTEN!

2 comments:

  1. Your awesome Sarah! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I am so happy to see you serving your mission. Congratulations. You will be the perfect missionary. So happy for you.
    -Randy Ball

    ReplyDelete